Sunday, November 7, 2010

Everything-in-the-Fridge Vegetable Soup

Sometimes you just have a lot of odds and ends of vegetables that need to be used up before they go bad, and that's when you turn to soup.  I was in just this situation when I created this soup recipe.  Luckily, it turned out to be absolutely delicious, with a nice meaty flavor from the bacon, acidity from the tomatoes, and sweetness from the squash.  Obviously, this is the sort of recipe where you should substitute whatever veggies you have around that need to be eaten, or change the spices around to suit your taste.



Everything-in-the-Fridge Vegetable Soup
Serves 2 

Olive oil
1/2 shallot, finely diced
1 slice bacon, cut into small pieces
1/3 (ish) of a small butternut squash, cubed
1 cup diced tomatoes
1-1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
2 cups baby spinach, lightly packed

1. Heat a little olive oil in the bottom of a non-stick saucepan. Add the shallots, and saute until softened and starting to brown. Drain on a paper towel.
2. Wipe the pan clean and add the bacon. Saute until browned, and then add the squash. Saute for a few minutes, adding more oil if needed, until it begins to soften. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, thyme, and vinegar, and then season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until the squash is cooked through and the liquid is somewhat reduced.
3. At this point, you can puree some or all of the soup with an immersion blender if you like - I pureed some of it while leaving some of the squash chunks whole.  Stir in the spinach until it wilts, taste for seasoning, and serve.

7 comments:

  1. Yummy, I love it when I spend no money and get a great dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of adding the balsamic vinegar to add a little zing. I'll try it in the next batch of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making this kind of soup. I also use up vegetables by tossing them all with some cooked pasta and a sprinkle of parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You stole my recipe - not really. I make what I call, "clean out the fridge, soup". Whatever is there becomes part of the soup.

    This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sarah, you won my giveaway. I will be emailing you tomorrow so that I can get an address to send everything to

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be blind, I cant find you email...could you email me your address to both addresses :

    jennifer.hicks@carefusion.com
    jennifurlandindigo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea about the a balsamic for a flavor!

    ReplyDelete