Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ginger-Mint Iced Green Tea

Here's another great hot-weather beverage that is guaranteed to cool you off.  I love making regular tea a little fancier with fresh mint and ginger.  Since I often end up with fresh herbs or fresh ginger leftover from other recipes, this is a great way to use them up before they go bad.  Fresh thyme, lemongrass, or sage would also work well.  I've found that having a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge makes me a lot happier when I get home in the evening, and it's really easy to make.  I'll be making variations on this recipe throughout the summer!


Ginger-Mint Iced Green Tea (adapted from Steamy Kitchen, original recipe here)
Makes about 4 cups, easily multiplied

2 bags green tea
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2-3 sprigs mint, leaves coarsely chopped
4-1/2 cups boiling water
1-2 tsp sugar (as desired)

Combine the tea bags, ginger, and mint in a glass container.  Pour the boiling water over.  Steep 3-4 minutes, and then remove the tea bags.  Stir in the sugar, and let steep another 10 minutes or so.  Strain into a pitcher.  Chill until cold, and then server over ice.

3 comments:

  1. What a refreshing flavor for iced tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Why have I never thought to add fresh ginger to tea? Can't wait to try this Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having homemade iced tea in the fridge. Sounds so homey. I drink tea half the day so I really should try this!

    ReplyDelete